hockey-fights.com
 Page 1 of 14 1234>» Last
Username Post: Another school shooting        (Topic#549888)
ChiBoyinLA
all star
Total Posts: 1447
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-14-18 06:33 PM - Post#1710404    

Another 17 dead kids.

Thoughts and prayers not enough.

Armed teachers in every classroom not a solution.

Do something else to end this madness.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." -- John Wooden

Jobu
superstar
Total Posts: 4057
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-14-18 07:06 PM - Post#1710405    

In response to ChiBoyinLA

What do you propose?
"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another."

Beagle
hall of famer
Total Posts: 7764
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-14-18 07:11 PM - Post#1710406    

In response to Jobu

Arm all the students with R-15's. Make it mandatory. This way the shooter might end up dead. Then he could not shoot any more students.

Might that work?

Jobu
superstar
Total Posts: 4057
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-14-18 07:21 PM - Post#1710407    

In response to Beagle

Are guns more available now than they were in the past? What's the difference today compared to when my father could bring his hunting rifle to school in the 70's and put it in his locker?
"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another."

ChiBoyinLA
all star
Total Posts: 1447
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-14-18 07:48 PM - Post#1710408    

In response to Jobu

• Jobu Said:
Are guns more available now than they were in the past? What's the difference today compared to when my father could bring his hunting rifle to school in the 70's and put it in his locker?

Seems to me that access to semi-automatic weapons is far more widespread these days. I think it was rare for civilians to own these 40 years ago. Today, not so much. I saw a video taken inside the school today, and while one could not see the weapon, the rapid rate at which one could hear rounds being fired, along with the death toll, strongly suggests an automatic weapon was used.

I've posted my views here regarding ideas for what to do about this situation numerous times. I'm not going to bother doing it again.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." -- John Wooden

Baldridge
legend
Total Posts: 12052
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-14-18 08:02 PM - Post#1710409    

It's madness. There is no other way to describe it. We have to view public places, including schools differently. Metal detectors, armed guards, etc....

It's ashame we will "lose" some freedom but at some point we have to do something. This isn't normal or acceptable....
"I can't prove any of it"-NYRfan

Kanrok
legend
Total Posts: 21746
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-14-18 08:16 PM - Post#1710410    

Interestingly, the frequency of mass shootings has remained fairly stable since the 70’s.

They have been getting deadlier though.

We can’t point to emergency care being deficient.

Generally speaking the availability of top notch paramedic care is greater now than in the 80’s and the 90’s.

Is it that the shooters are more accurate? Or is it that they have better firepower? Could be.

As for the cause of mass shootings, I would look to how often the shooters were prescribed anti-depressants and ADHD drugs.

There appears to be a correlation there.

Is the rise in social media a potential cause?

As for school safety, I can think of a few cost effective ways to address the issue. None are failsafe though.

If you want to protect students you need to find out ways to reduce the response time for these incidents.

Having trained, armed guards posted at schools is an option.

Retired military and police would be an option.

Addressing ways to make the schools safer is another.

Containing the shooter once the shooting starts seems intuitive.

Security doors at intervals that constrict movement within the school is doable.

I understand the shooter in Florida pulled the fire alarm to assure that there would be many targets.

Pure evil is hard to understand.
“The greatest thing we can do just unite and love on each other and like, no barriers, no borders, like, we all need to just co-exist.”

- K. Perry

Beagle
hall of famer
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-14-18 08:33 PM - Post#1710411    

In response to Jobu

• Jobu Said:

It's now easier to find out how to easily acquire legal guns combined with more fucked up people doing this.

Johnny_Upton
Total Posts: 29402
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-14-18 08:55 PM - Post#1710413    

In response to Beagle

Fix society
Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

#Filthystrong

tmc
superstar
Total Posts: 3237
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-14-18 09:33 PM - Post#1710414    

In response to Kanrok

• Kanrok Said:
Interestingly, the frequency of mass shootings has remained fairly stable since the 70’s.

They have been getting deadlier though.

We can’t point to emergency care being deficient.

Generally speaking the availability of top notch paramedic care is greater now than in the 80’s and the 90’s.

Is it that the shooters are more accurate? Or is it that they have better firepower? Could be.

As for the cause of mass shootings, I would look to how often the shooters were prescribed anti-depressants and ADHD drugs.

There appears to be a correlation there.

Is the rise in social media a potential cause?

As for school safety, I can think of a few cost effective ways to address the issue. None are failsafe though.

If you want to protect students you need to find out ways to reduce the response time for these incidents.

Having trained, armed guards posted at schools is an option.

Retired military and police would be an option.

Addressing ways to make the schools safer is another.

Containing the shooter once the shooting starts seems intuitive.

Security doors at intervals that constrict movement within the school is doable.

I understand the shooter in Florida pulled the fire alarm to assure that there would be many targets.

Pure evil is hard to understand.

Good post.

Living outside of the USA it's hard for me to imagine these incidents on a regular basis. A sports announcer today said on average this year there is a mass shooting every three days. I don't know if this is true but the numbers are staggering.

Is the pharma meds and the availability of automatic weapons is the cause? That'd be my guess. Video games depicting the ability to kill in mass amounts may also contribute. Whatever the cause, it is another sad day in the USA.

RIP.
Lamont. You big dummy!

Brawls16
legend
Total Posts: 13192
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-15-18 03:56 AM - Post#1710417    

In response to tmc

You Yanks just don't get it.

You'll never learn.
Clark-Domi-Belak-Orr

Holmgren
superstar
Total Posts: 3248
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

02-15-18 07:41 AM - Post#1710418    

In response to Brawls16

The people who demand change in terms of gun control have zero understanding of the numbers and just buy into the mantra.
I see Blue! . . . He looks glorious!

Beagle
hall of famer
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-15-18 09:32 AM - Post#1710419    

In response to Holmgren

But if there were no AR-15's would yesterdays event still have occurred? Would he instead have chosen to drive a car into the school at high speed to accomplish his "goal"?

What is with all the hi-powered weapons anyway? Do people just like to kill, so the supply is simply to meet the demand for that? Or just a majorly flawed insurance protection policy?

Or is it a 'build it and they will come' mentality?

I realize a high-powered weapon, in and of itself, is harmless. It just lies there. But folks who have a strong potential to harm (anger/mental issues) have too easy an access to them. Handguns in every home, fine. And use sparingly.

I realize more people die in car accidents caused by drunk driving/texting etc per annum than by guns. That could be fixed as well.

Maybe JU is right. Fix society

Edited by Beagle on 02-15-18 09:33 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Johnny_Upton
Total Posts: 29402
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-15-18 09:49 AM - Post#1710420    

In response to Beagle

Excluding the truly evil - Gacy, Speck, Manson etc,
I think there's a couple of generations that have serious empathy and coping problems that are directly driven by society and parenting. While it doesnt manifest itself in terms of making everyone in those generations a homicidal threat, it does plant the seeds and allows the weaker to act out in a devastating manner.
Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

#Filthystrong

KyleFreadrich43
hall of famer
Total Posts: 7793
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

02-15-18 10:06 AM - Post#1710424    

In response to Johnny_Upton

Another one of these assholes the FBI was allegedly aware of for some time.

How much longer till they actually do something pre-emptive to one of these people, BEFORE they decide to shoot up a school?
"I don't want to call him scared, but Worrell always seemed to avoid me." -Kyle Freadrich

NYRfan
legend
Total Posts: 35016
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-15-18 10:07 AM - Post#1710425    

• ChiBoyinLA Said:
  • Jobu Said:

Seems to me that access to semi-automatic weapons is far more widespread these days. I think it was rare for civilians to own these 40 years ago. Today, not so much. I saw a video taken inside the school today, and while one could not see the weapon, the rapid rate at which one could hear rounds being fired, along with the death toll, strongly suggests an automatic weapon was used.

I've posted my views here regarding ideas for what to do about this situation numerous times. I'm not going to bother doing it again.

The .22 that most boys brought to school and put in their lockers, as mentioned in Jobu's post, was / is a semi-automatic.

There are no automatic weapons in any of these shootings.

Let's not get bogged down in the "scary labels" as always. That shit's kinda old. It's annoying and puts your credibility down to zero.

The AR-15 (.223) is more powerful than the traditional .22, but an old .22 rifle will kill you just as dead.

So you could take these kids' .22's from 1950 and do the same mass shooting in a classroom.

That's the real problem - dopey, dishonest, drivel about what really happened.

This kid did not find a magic killing machine under a rock becuz Trump.

He was probably in trouble at school for 15 years, bullied at this school, kicked out of the school, and sat around for a year or two with no parental love or mental health help. And nobody bothered to care about his violent fantasies on social media.

All things that should be fixed before strange drivel about guns.

NYRfan
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-15-18 10:14 AM - Post#1710426    

In response to KyleFreadrich43

• KyleFreadrich43 Said:
Another one of these assholes the FBI was allegedly aware of for some time.

How much longer till they actually do something pre-emptive to one of these people, BEFORE they decide to shoot up a school?

I'm starting to wonder if they let some of these go to fruition just to take the heat off themselves (current situation), or to gain traction in certain agendas (gun control, surveillance, etc.).

Seeing what they've been doing in the last 9 years..... makes this absolutely not a stretch.

This and plane crashes. The russian one recently - how convenient that principals in some of the recent scandals were on there.

NYRfan
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-15-18 10:19 AM - Post#1710428    

In response to Brawls16

• Brawls16 Said:
You Yanks just don't get it.

You'll never learn.

Enjoy your limited-speech rights and free-speech zones.

When the jihad gets to your door, don't call the yanks, we'll be busy.

Get working on those active shooter strategies -

run
hide
cry
shit pants
roll in it

Marcelino Jeopardy
superstar
Total Posts: 4220
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-15-18 11:38 AM - Post#1710431    

In response to NYRfan

What's a bigger cliche at this point: sending thoughts and prayers to the victims, or getting all pissed off about people sending thoughts and prayers?

Pete
legend
Total Posts: 10544
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

02-15-18 12:09 PM - Post#1710435    

In response to Marcelino Jeopardy

Seems like there were plenty of red flags all over this one. Why no proactive measures to confront the shooter before he took action?

If there are threats or suggestions that are strong enough to get the attention of the FBI, wouldn't that satisfy probably cause for local law enforcement to intervene?

Or maybe politicizing these episodes part of the plan/problem?

Page 1 of 14 1234>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
120 Online Now
0 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 120 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "The Gifts that Keep on Giving" with 36 replies.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2018 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.328 seconds.   Total Queries: 348   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-6.0). Current time is 12:19 PM