hockey-fights.com
Username Post: Can an album really change your life?        (Topic#550054)
CHRISCOLE
all star
Total Posts: 1258
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

04-21-18 12:26 PM - Post#1712396    

In my 50 plus years in this world, I have often heard people say a certain album or song changed their life. I think most people use that expression to describe becoming a fan of a particular artist or genre, or becoming immersed in a particular scene. Has the music truly changed their life?

I was reflecting on when I quit drinking almost 12 years ago. I had just turned 40, I was a new first time father, I hated my job and was at the dreaded "is this all there is and what does it mean" point in my life. And I was drinking too much. To make things worse, I was drinking to numb myself to all of the things I was dealing with. I had lost the ability to feel joy and happiness for the most part.

A couple of months before I quit drinking I dusted off some of my old cd's and was listening to a couple of albums start to finish while I was just zoning out. One of the albums I listened to was by Marillion called "Clutching at Straws". For those who don't remember them, they were part of the neo-prog movement in the early to mid 80's and had a minor hit in the US with the song "Kayleigh" off the album "Misplaced Childhood". The album was a loose concept record centered around a hard drinker down on his luck character named Torch.

The album had always been a favorite, but really spoke to me this time. Oddly enough, I was at least a couple of beers in when I put it on.

I realized that this character was in many ways a reflection of me. The lyrics of desperation, self loathing and hopelessness really hit home. A couple of lines from these stuck with me for a long while.

"Drying out a conscience, evicting a nightmare
Opening the doors for the dreams to come home"

"We make futile gestures, act to the cameras
With our made-up faces and our PR smiles"

"And if you ever come across us don't give us your sympathy, You can buy us a drink and just shake our hands, And you'll recognise by the reflection in our eyes that deep down inside we're all one and the same"

We're clutching at straws
We're still drowning"

"So if you want my address, It's number one at the end of the bar, Where I sit with the broken angels, Clutching at straws and nursing our scars"

"Can you understand it's the way I choose to be,
Everything seems so easy this way, But I'm going under fast
Slipping away
Am I so crazy?"

I took about two months of turning these lines over in my head, when the light when on and I decided to make a change. It hasn't been all unicorns and rainbows since, but I can face things with a clear mind and heart and take joy in all the little blessings we get every day.

I know this a rambling treatise, but it is story I have always wanted to share, but always felt self conscious about doing so.

If you have read this, thanks for taking the time.

Has anyone else here had a musical epiphany such as this?
I find most of what I read here frightening

Edited by CHRISCOLE on 04-21-18 12:34 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Beagle
hall of famer
Total Posts: 7865
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-21-18 09:22 PM - Post#1712411    

In response to CHRISCOLE

I was drawn towards the "Sugar Mice" track. I thought it captured the sadness of the consequences of alcoholism in both the music and the lyrics.

PuckRogue
Total Posts: 37325
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
05-06-18 08:04 PM - Post#1713072    

In response to Beagle

-PR

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
109 Online Now
0 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 109 guests are online now.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2018 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.094 seconds.   Total Queries: 84   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 06:27 PM