hockey-fights.com
Username Post: What goes through people's heads sometimes?        (Topic#550115)
tmc
superstar
Total Posts: 3355
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
05-13-18 07:57 PM - Post#1713456    

We had a scenario go down at work that makes you go what was that person thinking?

There are two people at my workplace who were good friends. Until recently.

They went on hunting trips together, golfed and were supposed to be good friends.

The one guy is the others boss. The boss is a bit of a blowhard and a bit of a power tripper, letting everybody know who's in charge. His friend is a minimal output guy. Has every excuse to miss work, paid or unpaid. When they work together it is a bit of a strain to say the least.

Tension starts to mount.

One morning boss looks at his phone and has seven messages with explicit pictures of men wanting sexual encounter. Boss is dumbfounded and cannot figure out who would do this. Low output guy is a gossip along with another person who works with me in a different department. Well gossip guy who works with me starts making jokes about this. Eventually it comes out that low output puts boss on Craigslist men seeking men as a joke!!!! Well he's getting dick pics and has three kids that could pick up the phone and see this bullshit let alone his wife!

Low output guy gets suspended, Boss guy is livid of course. Low output is probably getting fired.

After the shock and dust settles my question was, is this criminal?

Regardless, what a horrible thing to do to a "friend".
Lamont, You big dummy!

Overlook
veteran
Total Posts: 456
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
05-14-18 07:51 AM - Post#1713458    

In response to tmc

Not criminal, but very dumb (both parties).

Gossip guy’s mistake is obvious; boss guy’s mistake is violating a clear/common sense line of (workplace) demarcation.

In my organization, it was clear that (as boss) I could be an employee’s friend, but not their buddy. Huge difference.
"I didn't want some weirdo wearin' my costly sunglasses...."

NYRfan
legend
Total Posts: 35745
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
05-15-18 02:49 PM - Post#1713497    

In response to Overlook

Is boss guy a social outcast of some sort ?

That's the only way I can see him thinking he was "friends" with such an equally retarded moron like low output guy.

It's like being best buds with the office rapist, and somehow not knowing it.

You're not the kind of dumb shit that would do this Craig's List thing, without it being obvious that you're a strange agent. It would be the guy with greazy hair, picking his nose, giggling, staring at you most of the time.

Jax
Total Posts: 12996
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
05-15-18 08:00 PM - Post#1713512    

In response to NYRfan

Why I've never been one to socialize with co-workers outside the job, especially subordinates.
The boss at my weekend gig is having this issue now. Goes out with other employees, has poker nights at their houses, goes to watch UFC events at bars, etc...
Now they've all turned to slackers at work and he can't do anything about it because they're all "buddies."
I remember when I interviewed with him four years ago I told him I don't mix my business and personal lives. He said that's a good policy he believes in. Don't know what happened to his belief.

tmc
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
05-16-18 12:29 AM - Post#1713515    

In response to NYRfan

• NYRfan Said:
Is boss guy a social outcast of some sort ?

That's the only way I can see him thinking he was "friends" with such an equally retarded moron like low output guy.

It's like being best buds with the office rapist, and somehow not knowing it.

You're not the kind of dumb shit that would do this Craig's List thing, without it being obvious that you're a strange agent. It would be the guy with greazy hair, picking his nose, giggling, staring at you most of the time.

Boss guy has many friends in many circles, socially respectable. |This is a dirty douche move by low output. I see no harm in being a friend to a fellow co worker, some of my best friends are people I have met through work.

If it is a management position then I can see a strategy to not encourage this situation of friendship with employees. This is a situation of a labourer/ lead hand.

Boss guy was totally fucked over and has no blame in my opinion.
Lamont, You big dummy!

Hannibal
hall of famer
Total Posts: 9914
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
05-16-18 06:18 AM - Post#1713519    

In response to tmc

Hanging out / socializing with co-workers isn't a bad thing and can actually be a positive. Hanging out / socializing with a subordinate needs to be handled up front with some ground rules. It can be a positive but the subordinates need to understand the dynamic hasn't changed inside work.

I don't typically socialize with my staff outside of work. We may do something after work as a thank you for their work but that's not the same IMO. I have had some leads over for dinner/drinks and we can relax and chill but it's business as usual the next day.

Being away from work "bros" with a subordinate would be tough. Hell, I don't even do social media simply for the blurred line between work and personal. Too much overlap can develop.

Boss man needs to axe the low-output guy. If low-output guy is truly a bud, he'll get over it and understand the decision. He fucked up and crossed a line - end of story.
Barney who?

tmc
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
05-16-18 06:35 PM - Post#1713557    

In response to Hannibal

• Hannibal Said:
Hanging out / socializing with co-workers isn't a bad thing and can actually be a positive. Hanging out / socializing with a subordinate needs to be handled up front with some ground rules. It can be a positive but the subordinates need to understand the dynamic hasn't changed inside work.

I don't typically socialize with my staff outside of work. We may do something after work as a thank you for their work but that's not the same IMO. I have had some leads over for dinner/drinks and we can relax and chill but it's business as usual the next day.

Being away from work "bros" with a subordinate would be tough. Hell, I don't even do social media simply for the blurred line between work and personal. Too much overlap can develop.

Boss man needs to axe the low-output guy. If low-output guy is truly a bud, he'll get over it and understand the decision. He fucked up and crossed a line - end of story.

Oh believe me he has axed low output from life altogether. Irony is they and other gossip guy, have prepaid to go to an annual gun shooting competition together. I suggested it would be bad to be in the same company with loaded firearms.

I am friends with someone in management. We were coworkers before he went management. He was my boss actually. We have socialized outside of work. We have several mutual friends and should he not go to someone's barbeque because I am attending or vice versa? We are both mature enough to handle the situations and boundaries of it.

Lamont, You big dummy!

Jobu
superstar
Total Posts: 4072
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
05-18-18 02:57 PM - Post#1713666    

In response to tmc

There is a strict code against fraternization in the military for a reason.

I hang out with my boss after work but it's small construction. Most jobs it's only the two of us. Either the work gets done or doesn't.
"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another."

tmc
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
06-17-18 04:47 PM - Post#1714192    

In response to Jobu

Low output has been terminated. Could have resigned with a clean slate but chose not to.
Lamont, You big dummy!

Gumper31
superstar
Total Posts: 2950
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
06-20-18 12:43 PM - Post#1714235    

In response to tmc

This is really going to sound like a dick but, I'm the boss and I don't want to hang out with my employees. It's nothing personal.

hockey, my family, working out and having some beers!

Mad_Professor
superstar
Total Posts: 2715
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
06-20-18 06:28 PM - Post#1714240    

In response to Gumper31

I’m a warehouse lead at my job and I prefer to not hang out with subordinates or supervisors outside of work.

I feel I perform better and more focused when I can switch completely from personal life to work life(and vice versa) at the time clock.
If in-laws were outlawed, only outlaws would have in-laws.

Jax
Total Posts: 12996
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
06-20-18 07:09 PM - Post#1714242    

In response to Hannibal

• Hannibal Said:
Hell, I don't even do social media simply for the blurred line between work and personal. Too much overlap can develop.

Another part of the reason I quit Facebook about three years ago and haven't looked back. I got friend requests from co-workers and I'd deny them or simply ignore them and someone from work would say "Hey, I sent you a friend request. Did you get it?" and I would feel like a dick saying that I don't really like my work life to cross over with my personal life.

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
105 Online Now
0 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 105 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "Elizabeth Warren " with 21 replies.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2018 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.219 seconds.   Total Queries: 224   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 02:00 PM