hockey-fights.com
Username Post: What Changed Your Mind?        (Topic#550402)
Fotiu
Total Posts: 17306
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
10-23-18 11:44 AM - Post#1715972    

There are some things that will never change, like the fact that The Eagles are shit, have always been shit and will always be shit.

But then there are those times.............

I always thought that Queen's set at Live Aid was completely overrated - The hits medley, not playing Bohemian Rhapsody in its entirety, and the general jerking off on it by people that claimed it was one of the greatest moments in music history.

I don't like Queen, but I've always regarded Freddie Mercury as a great talent and incredible voice.

I just found it hard to believe that a 20 minute set could be so influential.

Looking back, I can honestly say that those 20 minutes were indeed some of the best minutes in music history. By 1985, Queen was a joke in America, having been crushed under the weight of their video for " I Want To Break Free," as some of us still hated fruitcakes here in America.

That despite Queen's growing obsolescence, Mercury could hold 75,000 people in the palm of his hand for even five minutes is nothing short of remarkable. I was definitely wrong on this thing.

So, who did you think sucked and how did you come to feel otherwise?
“I know words, I have the best words.”

Marcelino Jeopardy
superstar
Total Posts: 4259
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
10-23-18 12:49 PM - Post#1715974    

In response to Fotiu

I've always hated U2. But now that rap is more popular than ever, maybe U2 wasn't so bad after all.
Anyone who ever posted another poster's quote as their signature is a giant douchebag.

-PR

Jax
Total Posts: 13002
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
10-23-18 04:03 PM - Post#1715978    

In response to Marcelino Jeopardy

I'm too stubborn to ever admit to being wrong. If someone sucked when I was 12, they still suck.

Pete
legend
Total Posts: 10890
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

10-25-18 11:02 AM - Post#1716005    

In response to Jax

Probably Hendrix for me. I think his voice is lousy and the mix on his albums cause many of his tunes to sound dated. Mitch Mitchell's drums sound thin and sloppily played. But over time I came to appreciate Hendrix's love of music and to just play. The guy didn't have any fear. He could stand up there and jam with virtually anyone and not feel overwhelmed. Guy must have had incredible self esteem. So many people look to music as a competition, especially among guitar players. Hendrix will never be a favorite, but i respect his efforts.

Springsteen, The Grateful Dead and Dylan have, do and will forever sucked/suck.

Johnny_Upton
Total Posts: 29631
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
10-25-18 05:44 PM - Post#1716007    

In response to Pete

Waylon Jennings - My parents listened to him when Outlaw Country/Rhinestone Cowboy C&W was cool, ergo in my youth it sucked ass. Was watching an old liver performance complete with Pedal Steel Guitar and actually listened to the music and lyrics and was sold

Grateful Dead - Their resurgence on campus in the late 80's with the choads playing the same tunes trying to be pseudo hippies turned me off. A friend played their version of Smokestack lightening and I was duly impressed also got me to listen to Workingmans Dead - great album

Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

#Filthystrong

Kanrok
legend
Total Posts: 22371
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
10-25-18 06:35 PM - Post#1716008    

In response to Johnny_Upton

Hanson.

MMMBop changed my life.
“The greatest thing we can do just unite and love on each other and like, no barriers, no borders, like, we all need to just co-exist.”

- K. Perry

Fotiu
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
10-26-18 01:54 PM - Post#1716022    

In response to Kanrok

Hanson's "This Time Around" is a legit great song.

DaveRichterfan
all star
Total Posts: 2211
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
10-27-18 11:20 AM - Post#1716035    

In response to Fotiu

I used to hate all the "Game of Thrones" talk around the office. After every episode, the talk was always Thrones this, Thrones that. For Seven years it was non-stop talk about about dwarfs, wolves, and Winter coming and how this is the greatest show ever produced. Then I watched the first episode...………….
Where's the money Lebowski?

Pete
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

10-27-18 08:00 PM - Post#1716040    

In response to DaveRichterfan

• DaveRichterfan Said:
I used to hate all the "Game of Thrones" talk around the office. After every episode, the talk was always Thrones this, Thrones that. For Seven years it was non-stop talk about about dwarfs, wolves, and Winter coming and how this is the greatest show ever produced. Then I watched the first episode...………….

Music ya dummy, music

DPR4444
hall of famer
Total Posts: 5546
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
10-29-18 08:06 AM - Post#1716048    

In response to Pete

I was way wrong about The Grateful Dead, and the jam scene in general. Growing up during punk rock and its subsequent manifestations, I just assumed that I would never like music that featured extended instrumental sections and improvisations. At the same time, I had three separate friends independently tell me, "You know, if you just gave it a chance, you'd probably like it." Ha - I sneered, you don't know me at all.

And then I listened, and loved it.

The experience was a reminder of something I shouldn't have to be reminded of - don't pre-judge, give it a chance, and maybe you'll find something new to enjoy in life.
"He shaved his head and shed his gloom..."

Irons
superstar
Total Posts: 3745
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
10-29-18 01:30 PM - Post#1716053    

In response to DPR4444

I've always hated Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam, but caught them recently in Philly where for the first time ever they played the entire Ten album start to finish to start the show. 3 hours later, I had to give them their due as a good live band.

Took my then girlfriend, now wife, to see Billy Joel in 1992 for her birthday. Goodnight Saigon blew me away live. Left that gig impressed when I thought I would hate it.

Bands I've given a chance live and walked out on:

The Grateful Dead
Steve Miller Band
The Kinks
Tom Petty

Irons
superstar
Total Posts: 3745
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
10-29-18 01:34 PM - Post#1716054    

In response to DaveRichterfan

• DaveRichterfan Said:

Same here in my office. So much so that we had a Game Of Thrones themed happy hour party. I was looking at all of my co-workers as freaks. Then, like you, I watched the first few episodes to give it a chance. Hooked.

Fotiu
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
10-29-18 03:19 PM - Post#1716056    

In response to Irons

I just had my mind changed about Post Malone by this video.

Pete
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

10-30-18 12:29 PM - Post#1716063    

In response to Fotiu

Will John Mayer be next?

Kanrok
legend
Total Posts: 22371
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
10-30-18 10:33 PM - Post#1716070    

In response to Fotiu

Bradley Cooper was better in “A Star is Born.”
“The greatest thing we can do just unite and love on each other and like, no barriers, no borders, like, we all need to just co-exist.”

- K. Perry

Fotiu
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
10-31-18 01:18 PM - Post#1716081    

In response to Kanrok

I hated The Smiths until I walked through my Sister's room and heard "Some girls are bigger than others," and I was hooked.

I hated Billy Joel until I heard "Sleeping with the television on" and then I was moderately hooked. I like a dozen of his tunes - the others are cringey.

HenryHanson
superstar
Total Posts: 3463
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
11-01-18 03:56 PM - Post#1716112    

In response to Jax

• Jax Said:
I'm too stubborn to ever admit to being wrong. If someone sucked when I was 12, they still suck.

I can relate to this, though, groups like Fleetwood Mac, and all other groups which didn't "rock", I can see the talent. Rumors, I've learned on this site the punctuation of book, movie and other titles, not albums, is brilliant. These guys made DOLLARS writing about their grief and break ups and heart aches, instead of getting a DUI or stitches, or time in jail. (I never got a DUI but did drive under the influence, and cause mayhem. No I did not get away with it in the long run. Ahem.) In an answer to the question: time.

Edited by HenryHanson on 11-01-18 03:57 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
105 Online Now
1 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 104 guests are online now.
Ad
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2018 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.297 seconds.   Total Queries: 301   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-6.0). Current time is 07:29 PM