hockey-fights.com
Username Post: Probert RE: McSorley/Brashear        (Topic#550673)
PuckRogue
Total Posts: 37454
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-12-19 01:24 PM - Post#1717961    

Bob Probert told his opinion on that McSorley & Brashear incident in his book; Tough Guy: My Life on the Edge

"On February 21, there was a lot of back and forth on the ice between Brashear, who was with Vancouver, and McSorley, who was with Boston. They had a fight in the first two minutes, and then later, Brashear fell on their goalie, Byron Dafoe. The way Marty told it, Brashear was in front of the net and Dafoe barely bumped him. Brashear got up with the big smile, sticking his tongue out, all of that. Marty went up and tried to fight Brashear again, but he wouldn't go. He said, "I don't have to fight." A little while later, Brashear skated past Boston's bench, flexing his muscles and showboating. He was just driving Boston's coach, Pat Burns, crazy. McSorley left it alone because Boston was losing and they were trying to get back into the game.

Then, with 40 seconds left and Vancouver winning 5-2, Marc Crawford put Brashear on the ice. So Boston pulled their closest defenseman and said McSorley, "Get out there, get out there, he is out there!" McSorley was put in a position, but he was running out of time. He was yelling at Brashear, "Get back here! Turn around and fight." Brashear was right near his bench, and there were guys with one leg over because the buzzer was going to go any minute. So McSorley went to whack him. But Marty said he unintentionally hit Brashear in the side of the face.

I could see what Marty was thinking. "Why am I having to chase a tough guy around at the end of the game? He challenged our bench, he hurt our goaltender for the rest of the year, and Brashear knows why I was put back onto ice, but he's running away." A lot of times, a tough guy will give another guy a whack because it's dirty to jump on someone from behind.

Marty couldn't fight after the buzzer—that would mean an automatic 10-game suspension. Marty McSorley was an honest fighter. He battled hard and didn't take too many cheap shots, but he just lost it at Donald Brashear and snapped. It's too bad, but it happens. I'd been in similar situations, trying to get a guy's attention. It's a fast game. Brashear went down, his helmet came off and he was out could. Then it all just snowballed.

Marty was charged by the cops with assault with a weapon, which I thought was total bullshit. What happens on the ice should stay on the ice. He went to court in B.C., was found guilty and was granted a conditional discharge.

The league suspended him for 23-games, and I thought that was too harsh too. 15-games, maybe. Then Bettman changed the suspension to a year. He told the press, "It is difficult to imagine a more irresponsible and dangerous act on the ice than the one that was involved in this case." Marty had a history with Bettman. In 1994, he had been on the Players' Association's negotiating committee, and Gary and Marty exchanged some serious fuck yous back an forth across the table.

Now Bettman was basically saying, "We're going to crack down on the game. Look at us crack down on the game." But it was about perception. The reality is that the coaches and GMs wanted tough guys on the ice, but at the same time, the league felt that it needed to be politically correct. So they made these inconsistent decisions. The rules are different for everybody. Chris Simon two-hands Ryan Hollweg, and he's suspended 15-games as well as the postseason. Other guys almost cross-check somebody's head off, and they don't even get a penalty. Take a guy like Chris Pronger—did you see the elbow on Dean McAmmond in 2007? Pronger got one game, because "he just plays hard." Come on! Be consistent. The league is going to protect its stars and protect its game. The disciplinary situation is not set up for unbiased, open-minded discipline. It is about control and controlling the league's message. So they can take a tough guy and just throw the book at him because the media says, "This is a tough guy."

-PR

Brawls16
legend
Total Posts: 13239
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-12-19 04:18 PM - Post#1717965    

In response to PuckRogue

By all accounts, Marty is one of the nicest guys around on and off the ice.

We all do something stupid in our day, and that was Martys.

It put a black eye on his career which is a damn shame.

Same goes for the whole Bertuzzi thing.
Clark-Domi-Belak-Orr

Drewman
superstar
Total Posts: 4710
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

02-13-19 10:11 AM - Post#1717974    

In response to Brawls16

If you watch the video again, Brashear is making a slight turn as McSorley's stick comes at him. A turn on the ice causes one's shoulder to dip, and Brashear's does. Marty's slash grazed Brashear's shoulder before hitting him in the head. Take out that dip from the turn and Brashear gets hit square in the shoulder.

I honestly believe-- and always have believed-- that McSorley's intent was to hit Brashear in the shoulder and just poor luck of him making that slight turn caused it to end up far worse.

Granted, Marty probably should have aimed more for the elbow to upper arm than the shoulder, but still. I believe the intent was to hit his shoulder.
"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest." - Paul Simon

CRussell
hall of famer
Total Posts: 5164
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-13-19 12:03 PM - Post#1717979    

In response to Drewman

I kind of viewed it frustration as Donald (and correct me
If I am wrong), had handled McSorley in their previous fight pretty easily.

PuckRogue
Total Posts: 37454
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-13-19 12:15 PM - Post#1717980    

In response to CRussell

• CRussell Said:
I kind of viewed it frustration as Donald (and correct me
If I am wrong), had handled McSorley in their previous fight pretty easily.

Apparently, that wasn't the case.

-PR

trent
veteran
Total Posts: 298
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-14-19 05:02 PM - Post#1718023    

In response to PuckRogue

Brashear dominated their series quite easily and that pissed of Marty.

Here are all six fights.

Easily the best hockey mod for the fighting fans

Edited by trent on 02-14-19 05:07 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Canucko29
legend
Total Posts: 14134
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-18-19 12:55 AM - Post#1718120    

In response to trent

I was one of the loudest and most vocal guys against Marty after that play happened in 2000's. I was 20 years old, a newbie to the board and completely a Canucks homer (still am, but not as bad).

As I've gotten older and wiser, I will freely admit that the slash was an accident. He intended to start a fight with him and had no intention of whacking him across the temple. An unfortunate incident.

I think, in retrospect, Marty would've stuck his stick against Donald's knees to send him to the ice and jumped him.

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
139 Online Now
0 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 139 guests are online now.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2019 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.156 seconds.   Total Queries: 147   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-6.0). Current time is 03:35 AM